Monday, July 2, 2012

The cupboard bed

Now this is something new! At work today it was raining "cats and dogs" and there were no people at the museum. So I walked around and started thinking. About this bed... It's easy to get inspired when working in such an environment.

It's a traditional bed from the region where I was born in, typical for northern Dalarna. The straight translation is "cupboard bed". It can be one or two berths, most common is that one berth for sleeping and one for storage. This one does has two berths for sleeping. The one on top were reserved for athletic youngesters who could climb (or jump) to reach it. The bed looks smaller than it actually it, since the cupboard is centered, leaving a pocket for the feet. Every day, I explain to tourist how this bed works.

For me, it's also a personal story. I used to sleep in such a bed with my grandmother when we visited her summer house when I was a child. She in her turn slept there with her grandmother, during the 20's. My grandmother passed away, aged 94, last christmas and I feel the need to make miniatures of the things she liked. And it will be perfect for my little red cottage (not yet introduced in this blog)

To return to the subject. Since there were no tourist to guide, I went out and measured the bed, made a drawing and later sat and calculated the scale of the model. I ended up making a blueprint. Feeling very proud of this, I made the bed when I finished work. Mind, it's only a sceleton so far and lots of work need to be put in for it. Gosh, such fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment