Thursday, July 12, 2012

A stove in the making day 2

I have decided to take a break from The Yellow House for a time. After working on one room for more than two weeks I feel I really need a change. Lucky me I have The Red Cottage!

At work (an open air museum with old cottages) I sat down and had a proper look at the stoves and made drawings on how they were costructed. The picture is from a cottage from the 18th century, there is one cottage from the 17th century (we also have one cottage from the 13th century) but the lighting is very bad in there so no pictures. It is such a delight to have opportunity to make such close observations when creating a miniature based on an actual object. Even though the result can vary...

Making a more detailed study of the real thing made me compare with what I had started to make yesterday. If I had put some thought into it and not just run away with myself yesterday, I would have put the oven on the other side of the stove. There is a place for the open fire, used for both cooking, heating and light, and should hence be more centerplace in the room. My stove has the open fire section facing into the outer wall, and will bring little heating. Luckily for my house, heating is not a big issue and any attempt to follow historical accuracy has already gone out the window.

And this picture shows my progress with the room. I placed my cupboard bed in the corner and the wall that is supposed to be cut wooden logs I starting to build. They will need a bit of staining. And the floor needs to be more uneven. And the stove needs to be painted and blackend. I love this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment